"Programming in D" book, draft of the first print edition and eBook formats

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 26 02:34:24 PST 2014

Main page:

   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/

1) For the first time, there are eBook formats:

   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/Programming_in_D_Ali_Cehreli.ALPHA.epub

   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/Programming_in_D_Ali_Cehreli.ALPHA.mobi

I used 'calibre' to generate those "alpha" quality books. I chose epub
and mobi just because I thought that they are the most common formats.
Just let me know if you need another format or simply use 'calibre' or
another tool yourself. :)

2) There has been a lot of work to make the book ready for its first
print edition. (I will spare you the details of countless hours of extra
work that went into this "eternal final step".)

The PDF version finally looks a lot like a real book:

* There is a Table of Contents section

* There is an Index section

* The internal links work

3) There are two new chapters:

* Lvalues and Rvalues

* Nested Functions, Structs, and Classes

4) There are the following notable additions to existing chapters:

* 'pragma' is added to the Templates chapter

* Special keywords are added to the Templates chapter (__FILE__,
__LINE__, etc.)

* Contract inheritance is added to the 'Contract Programming for Structs
and Classes' chapter

* The .offsetof property and the 'align' atribute are added to the
'Memory Management' chapter

5) I am grateful to Andrej Mitrović, Steven Schveighoffer, and Luís
Marques, who accepted to edit the book. However, they are through only
less than 10% of the book so far. As always, current or future mistakes
are mine. :)

Ali