"Programming in D" book, draft of the first print edition and eBook formats

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Nov 26 11:44:21 PST 2014

On 11/26/2014 06:27 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:

 > whenever there is something new, so we readers can go back to the website
 > and grab the latest version of the book.

That has always been the case with Programming in D. Although there has
been a hiatus of about two months this last time, Luís Marques' edits
from this morning have already made it to the site as we speak. ;)

 > I think this is a much better approach than book editions, as they may
 > appear years after each other... Sure, it is more complicated, but I
 > think it pays off

It is not complicated at all. I type 'make', copy the generated .zip
file to the hosting site, unzip, and the edits are live! :) (Although,
the .epub and .mobi formats are not integrated to the Makefile yet.)

On 11/26/2014 08:55 AM, Dejan Lekic wrote:

 > One more thing - if you have the book in some "wiki form", it may be a
 > good idea to transform it into AsciiDoc as it has really nice
 > ePub/PDF/HTML output.

For historical reasons I started with Ddoc. I can investigate converting
it to AsciiDoc but honestly I am not motivated much to do that. :)

Currently, Ddoc is first converted to HTML and I use the HTML to
generate different final formats.

Ali