[OT Security PSA] Shellshock: Update your bash, now!

Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 1 07:56:09 PDT 2014

On 10/1/14 10:44 AM, Kagamin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 1 October 2014 at 05:09:45 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> Apparently bash has it's own "heartbleed" now, dubbed "shellshock".
>
> Does it affect dash?

I don't know, but I think it doesn't. There are tests you can use to
check if your shell is vulnerable, google can tell you :)

> Also, how does one update software on linux? Last I checked, when new
> version is out, repository of the previous version becomes utterly
> abandoned. A pity, on windows one can roll new software versions as long
> as they are maintained.

Generally, you use the package manager, but it is very dependent on what
distribution you are using. For example, in Ubuntu or Linux Mint, the UI
alerts you to updates, and it's as simple as clicking a button.

I think the "utterly abandoned" claim is highly dubious.

-Steve