[OT Security PSA] Shellshock: Update your bash, now!

eles via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Oct 5 01:54:45 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 11:12:12 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Thursday, 2 October 2014 at 07:43:54 UTC, eles wrote:
>> update-manager -d
>>
>> It works.
>
> Does it perform package upgrade? The comments are rather scary:
> ---
> Hi, I have installed Linux mint 15 with Mint4Win as Dual boot
> with Windows 7.
> Then upgraded it to Mint 16 and it was running fine.
> But when I upgrade to Mint 17 (Qiana), after restarting the
> partition loop0 (or loopback0 or something like that) fails to
> load.
> It shows an error like, Press I to ignore, S to skip or M for
> manual recovery.

Hi,

A bit of news here, as just updated my knoledge about Linux Mint
& Linux Mint Debian Edition.

In short, from this discussion and its comments:

http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/08/upcoming-lmde-2-to-be-named-betsy/

Linux Mint Debian abandons its (semi-)rolling model and will
basically become just a kind of Ubuntu, but based on Debian
Stable (Ubuntu, AFAIK, is based on Debian Unstable). The will
require full-upgrades every 2 years, but the upgrades shall be
smooth (no reinstall required). For two years, you will not need
to do such upgrade, just the basic security upgrades and some
updates (mainly browser and email clients).

Linux Mint, starting from version 17, marks a departure from
previous releases (this is why you migh have encountered
difficulties in upgrading) by keeping the same code base (Ubuntu
14.04 LTS) for the next 5 years. So, during this time, it will
basically be a rolling-distribution, as some software will get
updated just as regular (security fixes etc.) happens. Probably,
after those 5 years, they will change the code base to the next
Ubuntu LTS, which will start a new 5-years long upgrade.

One piece of advice: Debian Testing might seem (by the name) more
secure than Debian Unstable. The truth is that the latter is more
up-to-date and receives security fixes first (they are entering
the Debian Unstable first, then they are pre-validated before
going in Debian Testing). More, Debian Unstable is not as
unstable as its name might tell but, yes, it requires you messing
sometimes (read: maybe once every three months) with the apt-get
and vim. But is not such a big deal.