D2 port of Sociomantic CDGC available for early experiments

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 8 10:47:09 PDT 2014

On Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:33:46 -0700
Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On 10/7/2014 11:58 PM, ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> > maybe enable envvar-control in alphas/betas and disable in releases?
> I thought you were opposed to -release builds?
i'm opposed to "-release" flag which turns off assertions and range
checking, not to the builds which can be titled "official releases". we
have official DMD releases, alphas, betas and RCs. it's logical to turn
on some experimental features in alphas/betas for people to play, but
turn such features off for safety reasons in RC/release.

turning off assertions and range checks decreases safety. turning off
experimental features and features with very unexpected side effects
increases safety. it's ok to make alphas/betas less safe. it's not ok
to make RCs/releases less safe.