D2 port of Sociomantic CDGC available for early experiments

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 9 07:25:33 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 9 October 2014 at 14:20:07 UTC, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Back when Druntime was called Ares, it was possible to choose
> the GC at link time.  Do we really need to defer the decision
> to run time?  If so, switching GCs after the app has started
> should work in most cases, though I'm not sure offhand if
> memory allocated by the prior GC will be scanned through for
> references within the new GC.

This also forces GC implementations to aware of each other. Not
normally an issue but GC traditionally includes many extern(C)
functions with common names which will need to be always
implemented so that all GC implementations are supported.

At the same time I don't see what real benefit such runtime
options brings to the table. This is why in my PR garbage
collector is currently chosen during compilation time.