D2 port of Sociomantic CDGC available for early experiments

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 11 20:41:40 PDT 2014

On 10/11/2014 4:23 PM, Leandro Lucarella wrote:
> It basically defines a bunch of environment variables and run the
> binary. This is a super common practice in posix systems. We are not
> inventing anything here. I don't know how windows or other OSs deal with
> defining environment variables in a script.
>
> Very basic facilities are always configured this way, for example try
> man 3 mallopt to see how can you change options in the malloc
> implementation using environment variables...

I don't deny it is common practice on Linux, but defining a bunch of environment
variables and then running the app, i.e. using the ev's as command line
switches, seems pointless. Just use command line switches.

Anyhow, environment variables are a common source of problems on Windows, which
is why dmd, for example, uses dmd.conf instead.