D2 port of Sociomantic CDGC available for early experiments

Regan Heath via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 22 02:41:25 PDT 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 23:52:22 +0100, Leandro Lucarella <luca at llucax.com.ar>
wrote:
> The runtime is not platform independent AT ALL.
               ^ implementation

> Why should you provide a platform agnostic way to configure it?

Because it makes life easier for developers and cross platform
development, not to mention documentation.  The benefits far outweigh the
costs.

> I can understand it if it's free,
> but if you have to sacrifice something just to get a platform agnostic
> mechanism, for me it's not worth it at all.

Reasonable people may disagree.

>> >All these fear about how this can obscurely affect programs
>> >is totally unfunded. That just does not happen. Not at least commonly
>> >enough to ignore all the other advantages of it.
>>
>> Sure, but past/current env vars being used are used *privately* to a
>> single program.
>
> NO, this is completely false, and why I think you are not entirely
> familiar with env vars in posix. LD_PRELOAD and LD_LIBRARY_PATH affects
> ALL, EACH and EVERY program for example. D or not D. Every single
> dynamically linked program.

True.  And the reason these behave this way is because we *always* want
them to - the same is NOT true of the proposed vars for D.  Which is my
point.

> This is a super common mechanism. I never ever had problems with this.
> Did you? Did honestly you even know they existed?

Yes.  But this is beside the point, which I hope I have clarified now?

Regan