438-byte "Hello, world" Win32 EXE in D

via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 18 11:53:05 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 9 September 2014 at 10:20:44 UTC, Don wrote:

>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/284797/hello-world-in-less-than-20-bytes
>
> My personal best --
>
> At my first job, a customer once made a request for a very
> simple DOS utility. They did mention that they didn't have much
> disk space on their machine, so they asked me to try to make
> the program small.
> That was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Naturally, I wrote
> it in asm.
> The final executable size was 15 bytes. <g>
> The customer loved it.

:-) Out of curiosity, did you use the debug-section-hack they use
for the tiny "hello world!" file in the link?

Sometimes when I download bloated apps I keep thinking that if it
had been done in an old-school way it would all fit in the CPU
cache. I've gotta find my old 8-bit 6510/6800 code some day and
take a look at it.