Digger 1.0

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 22 11:59:12 PDT 2014

On Monday, 22 September 2014 at 17:28:50 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:24:55 +0200
> simendsjo via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> My guess is the average for developers is ~8GB. 2GB RAM is
>> really not
>> enough for pretty much anything these days - the browser alone
>> easily
>> chews 3-4GB on moderate use. I recommend you just upgrade your
>> computer (or compile on a better iron).
> are your primary language is java? i'm asking just out of
> curiousity.

That was uncalled for.

Firefox requires 4GB of memory to build.
Chromium requires 8GB of memory to build.
Android requires 16GB of memory to build.

If you want to work on big projects, you WILL need a decent
computer.

I think 4GB for a modern programming language's implementation is
not an unreasonable requirement, even if it could be brought down
in the future. Especially considering that you can't even buy a
new laptop today with less than 4GB of RAM, and 3GB is becoming
the norm for smartphones.