Digger 1.0

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 23 07:48:01 PDT 2014

On Monday, 22 September 2014 at 13:23:33 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
> My guess is the average for developers is ~8GB. 2GB RAM is
> really not
> enough for pretty much anything these days - the browser alone
> easily
> chews 3-4GB on moderate use.

You have to admit that this is ridiculous.  I updated to the
64-bit Chrome on Windows when it came out and it is a huge memory
hog.  Web browsers have grown out of control.

On Monday, 22 September 2014 at 18:59:13 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> Firefox requires 4GB of memory to build.
> Chromium requires 8GB of memory to build.

This is not a requirement for Chromium, merely a recommendation
for faster builds.  I regularly built Chromium for FreeBSD with 2
GBs of RAM up till a couple years ago.  Perhaps it has gotten
much more bloated since or maybe just on Windows, but phobos
shouldn't be in the same class.

> If you want to work on big projects, you WILL need a decent
> computer.
>
> I think 4GB for a modern programming language's implementation
> is not an unreasonable requirement, even if it could be brought
> down in the future. Especially considering that you can't even
> buy a new laptop today with less than 4GB of RAM, and 3GB is
> becoming the norm for smartphones.

I'd say it's unreasonable from a technical standpoint, maybe not
that much from an affordability standpoint, which is what you're
pointing out.  My guess is the real problem is optlink on
Windows, in which case I recommend that Nick try out the new
32-bit MSVC toolchain support, if he can't use the existing
64-bit Windows MSVC integration.

I regularly build git HEAD of dmd/druntime/phobos in a linux VM
with 512 MB of RAM and about the same amount of swap and have
never had a problem.  It's only when compiling the unit tests
that I have to start increasing the allocated RAM.