Reggae v0.0.5 super alpha: A build system in D

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 3 10:22:40 PDT 2015

On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 17:10:33 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 17:03:35 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> . Separate compilation. One file changes, only one file gets
>> rebuilt
>
> This immediately has caught my eye as huge "no" in the
> description. We must ban C style separate compilation, there is
> simply no way to move forward otherwise. At the very least not
> endorse it in any way.

I understand that. But:

1. One of D's advantages is fast compilation. I don't think that
means we should should compile everything all the time because we
can (it's fast anyway!)
2. There are measureable differences in compile-time. While
working on reggae I got much faster edit-compile-unittest cycles
because of separate compilation
3. This is valuable feedback. I was wondering what everybody else
would think. It could be configureable, your "not endorse it in
any way" notwithstanding. I for one would rather have it compile
separately
4. CTFE and memory consumption can go through the roof
(anecdotally anyway, it's never been a problem for me) when
compiling everything at once.