Reggae v0.0.5 super alpha: A build system in D

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Apr 4 01:29:11 PDT 2015

On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 19:45:38 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> On 4/3/15 10:10 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 17:03:35 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> . Separate compilation. One file changes, only one file gets
>>> rebuilt
>>
>> This immediately has caught my eye as huge "no" in the
>> description. We
>> must ban C style separate compilation, there is simply no way
>> to move
>> forward otherwise. At the very least not endorse it in any way.
>
> Agreed. D build style should be one invocation per package. --
> Andrei

Just to clarify, reggae has:

1. Low-level building blocks that can be used for pretty much
anything
2. High-level convenience rules

There's nothing about #1 that forces per-module compilation. It
doesn't force anything, it's just data definition.

The current implementations of #2, namely dExe and the dub
integration spit out build systems that compiler per module but
that can be easily changed or even configured.

Even now it's perfectly possible to define a build system for a D
project with per package compilation, it'll just take more typing.

Atila