Standardpaths library

FreeSlave via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 5 05:31:23 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 5 April 2015 at 11:42:42 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> On another note when I ran your 'printdirs' it didn't list a
> user Fonts or Applications directory. The Applications
> directory is ok, but I do have a ~/.fonts/ directory and
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf says:
>   <!-- the following element will be removed in the future -->
>   <dir>~/.fonts</dir>
> Fonts in ~/.fonts are listed in LibreOffice. It seems like you
> do parse /etc/fonts/fonts.conf. Maybe there is a bug in the
> parser?
>
> The whole Applications thing doesn't make much sense on Linux,
> right? Is that a directory where applications are installed to
> including their assets?

Probably you don't have local
$XDG_CONFIG_DIR/fontconfig/fonts.conf file.

I've opened issue
https://github.com/MyLittleRobo/standardpaths/issues/8

About Applications: on my Windows 7 it returns
C:/Users/Username/Application Data/Microsoft/Windows/Start
Menu/ProgramsC:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/Start Menu/Programs
where .lnk files are stored (I believe these are used in the
start  menu). Since freedesktop systems use .desktop files it
would be sane to return paths which contain them
(~/.local/share/applications, /usr/local/share/applications and
/usr/share/applications). I just have not implemented it yet.
Though not sure it the whole thing can be useful, since things
are not the same on Windows and freedesktop: Windows uses
directories to make menu hierarchy, while freedesktop for the
same purpose use Categories field in .desktop files. Also .lnk
and .desktop are different things themselves.