OpenVG bindings

ddos via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 6 15:23:29 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 4 April 2015 at 09:24:29 UTC, Baz wrote:
> On Friday, 3 April 2015 at 22:53:51 UTC, ddos wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> today i've created my first dlang library ^_^ a binding to the
>> OpenVG library standard. The referenced implementation is
>> ShivaVG which allows to draw vector graphics within an OpenGL
>> context (similar to cairo).
>> A small demo application is included, using derelict gl3 and
>> glfw3
>>
>> https://github.com/oggs91/OpenVG_D
>> http://code.dlang.org/packages/dopenvg
>
> Thx. I'll give it a try because it matches something i've
> started last week. I could use Cairo but a few years ago i've
> already gave up something similar because of the bad
> performances (Cairo is made and dedicated to inkscape, isn't it
> ?). Are OpenVG perfs better?
> This lib is quite unknown btw.

I think the reason for this is that vector graphics are mainly
used for drawing userinterfaces and illustrations like pdf file,
svg file, etc. Here performance isn't much of a problem so there
isn't any need for change. Cairo is imho a quasi standard and
didn't change much since long time.
Since I use OpenGL I recently looked into OpenVG and it has a
really clean and easy to understand renderpipeline and api.
Khronos created a specification for OpenVG, but there aren't many
(open) implementations yet. Some mobilephone manufacturers have
implementations for their devices, like nokia.

Since you are interested in performance i think going with any
hardware accelerated vector graphics library should work out for
you. ShivaVG or cairo with a opengl backend (there are lots of
different backends)