Reggae v0.0.5 super alpha: A build system in D

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 7 01:25:01 PDT 2015

On Monday, 6 April 2015 at 11:29:20 UTC, Sergei Nosov wrote:
> On Sunday, 5 April 2015 at 00:22:35 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> It seems to me that different projects might benefit from
>> different compilation strategies. It might just be a case of
>> unit tests alongside production code vs in separate files. As
>> mentioned before, my experience with per-module compilation
>> was usually faster, but I'm going to change the default to be
>> per package.
>
> I want to also share my experience in that regard.

See, the problem with this approach is that you can trivially get
out of 1GB of memory with DMD even when compiling single module,
all you need is to do enough compile-time magic. Separate
compilation here delays the issue but does not actually solve it.

If any effort is to be put into supporting this scenario
(on-server compilation), it is better to be put in reducing
actual memory hog of compiler, not supporting another workaround.

Also you can still achieve the similar profile by splitting your
project in small enough static libraries, so it is not completely
out of question.