Implementing cent/ucent...

Kai Nacke via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 7 08:55:22 PDT 2015

Hi all!

I started to work on cent/ucent support in LDC (and possible in
upstream DMD). Here is the current state:

1) The pull request
https://github.com/ldc-developers/ldc/pull/891/files implements
cent/ucent based on the upcoming major LDC release (branch
merge-2.067).
It is usable but relies on GCC because it uses the __int128 data
type. My next step is to implement a synthetic int128_t type to
enable support on all platforms.
Up to now I tested only on Linux/x86_64.

2) I already submitted some pull request for DMD, Druntime and
Phobos to enable cent/ucent support.

How to continue?

As soon as I got it working on all compiler environment I like to
create an upstream pull request. (May take some time because I am
now busy with other tasks.)
But: I am not going to extend the DMD backend! This has 2
consequences. First, we need to decide how to integrate the code.
(Do we want to clutter the code with #if WANT_CENT as I currently
do? Should we wait for DDMD?) Second, someone needs to work on
the DMD backend if DMD should support cent/ucent, too.

If you like to help:
- clone & test
- Druntime/Phobos should support cent/ucent. I already
updated/created some modules but more work is needed here
- add support to the DMD backend

Regards,
Kai