Implementing cent/ucent...

Kai Nacke via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Apr 7 12:25:27 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 7 April 2015 at 18:43:06 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 April 2015 at 15:55:24 UTC, Kai Nacke wrote:
>> I started to work on cent/ucent support in LDC (and possible
>> in upstream DMD). Here is the current state:
>
> Hi, I appreciate all the work you're doing for LDC, but isn't
> ucent better implemented as a library type (e.g. as a FixNum
> struct for arbitrary fixed-size integers)? With the
> deprecation/removal of complex numbers, octal literals, and hex
> strings, I'm not sure if cent/ucent would pass the same
> inclusion requirements that those features didn't.
>
> This doesn't necessarily obsolete your work - we could remove
> ucent from the language specification, but still expose the
> backend feature in some way that FixNum could use for added
> efficiency.
>
> If there's already been a discussion about removing cent/ucent
> and I missed it, my apologies.

Hi Vladimir,

for me this was a low-hanging fruit. In many cases I only had to
add the special cases for max and min values. If it is not
included then it is no disaster.

My motivation for the implementation is
- implementation of 128bit CAS
- evaluation of performance of bigintnoasm with 128bit vs. 64bit
on X64

Regards,
Kai