Trial migration of Dsource bindings project to Github

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Apr 19 16:37:56 PDT 2015

On Sunday, 19 April 2015 at 23:14:13 UTC, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> For those of you who are still unfamiliar with GitHub,

Stewart, I haven't seen an active D project that WASN'T hosted on
GitHub for years now.

> Could people please try checking out the project on GitHub, and
> committing a change?

Git commits are local, and will always succeed. I'm guessing you
actually want to allow anyone to push their commits to your
repository, which is not how collaboration on GitHub works. You
may want to read up on pull requests:

https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/

I'm sorry about the Dsource malfunctions. When I took over
hosting, my goal was to archive it in a read-only state. The move
has eaten much more of my time than I have anticipated, because
it depends so much on ancient software that is difficult to get
running these days short of making a virtual machine.

> There's still plenty of work to do on WindowsAPI so you could
> do some of the work there. (The wiki is broken at the moment,
> so I don't recommend trying to edit the module list there, but
> as a temporary measure you could just post on this thread if
> you're going to do some major work on one or more of the files.)

The module list has no value these days. Most people in that list
no longer use D. Git allows quickly checking the history of any
one file. Contributions to the project itself have been so few
that it makes no sense to partition out module ownership.

> If the decision is made to relocate Bindings permanently to
> GitHub, the wiki pages will be migrated in due course.

Given that SVN is going the way of RCS and CVS, it's not really
an "if".