Trial migration of Dsource bindings project to Github

Vladimir Panteleev via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Apr 20 16:42:53 PDT 2015

On Monday, 20 April 2015 at 22:57:51 UTC, Stewart Gordon wrote:
> I committed some updates the other day and they seem they have
> gone straight into the online repository.

Committing is a local (non-network) operation in git, so you must
have pushed them afterwards, or your GUI has done this for you.

>> https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests/
>
> That mentions a 'shared repository model'.  What is that if not
> a way of enabling any user to push changes?  (That said, it
> isn't clear at the moment how to control whether a given
> repository is fork-pull or shared, or even whether the
> distinction is at the repository setup level or some other.)

The shared repository model rarely applies to open-source
projects, and I don't think it applies to the bindings project.

>> The module list has no value these days. Most people in that
>> list no longer use D.
>
> ?? The module list is a list of modules, not a list of people.

Sorry, I was talking about the "Assigned to" column. I was
misremembering, I agree it might be worth migrating to the GitHub
wiki.

>> Given that SVN is going the way of RCS and CVS, it's not
>> really an "if".
>
> What do you mean by this?

SVN use, especially in open-source projects, has heavily declined
in the past years. People have begun maintaining their own forks
and mirrors of the bindings project just so they wouldn't have to
muck with SVN. The bindings project needs to move away from SVN
if it is to avoid fragmentation and be friendly to contributions.