dsource.org moved

Stewart Gordon via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Apr 24 14:48:29 PDT 2015

On 22/04/2015 08:20, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
<snip>
> If you're forking a project on Github you get your own copy of the project. The projects
> are linked but the repositories are not. What I mean by that is on your fork you'll see
> that it is a fork with a link back to the original project. From the original project you
> can also view all forks.
>
> The repositories are not linked in the sense that there's no automatic syncing of code
> between them. The fork needs to manually pull from the original repository to get the
> latest changes.

I guess the word "link" has too many meanings. :p

So a fork is really a working copy of the master repository, and the code that the user
will typically edit is in turn a working copy of this.  And "commit" and "push" in Git
terms basically mean to commit to the local fork and to commit the fork to the master repo
respectively.

So if "pull" means to update one's fork, what is a "pull request" requesting exactly?

Stewart.

--
My email address is valid but not my primary mailbox and not checked regularly.  Please
keep replies on the 'group where everybody may benefit.