"Programming in D" paper book is available for purchase

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 18 22:33:50 PDT 2015

On 08/18/2015 09:33 PM, Rikki Cattermole wrote:

 > Out of interest, why did you choose createspace over e.g. lulu?

I looked at various options about a year ago. I eliminated Lulu because
my book already had way too many pages over their limit. I think their
limit was something around 600 pages. I now have 798 pages but either
they changed their options or put up better information that I should be
able fit 740 pages with some layout changes:

http://connect.lulu.com/t5/Product-Pricing-Information/Binding-options-and-their-page-counts/ta-p/33673

Additionally, according to my research at the time, CreateSpace was the
one of the ones that would give me the most royalty.

I eliminated other companies for other reasons e.g. because they would
not take pdf, which my build system happens to produce for historical
reasons.

I have been happy with CreateSpace's flow and how easy it's been to
publish. I have one huge complaint though: It was impossible to send
proof copies to more than one address at the same time. To do that, one
has to upload a new content (even if there is no change) to change the
state of the flow to "needs reviewing", which takes a day or two for
them to say that it's ok to publish. Only then one can order a copy to
another address. I had three addresses that I wanted to ship. I am sure
they will change their process to fix that issue. Anyway, it's history
now. :)

Ali