Build It And They Will Not Come

Mike via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 20 00:23:40 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 06:50:51 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:

> Humm, I wonder if we could strip it out before the final link.

I tried a number of things, all discussed on the D.gnu forum
(http://forum.dlang.org/post/quemhwpgijwmqtpxukiv@forum.dlang.org).  The only hack that worked some of the time was to compile to assembly, use a sed script to modify the assembly, and then compile the modified assembly.  That's pretty ridiculous.  I can't go to my employer with that and I don't think anyone will take me seriously if my projects contain such things.

A few compiler devs threw me a bone with an -fno-rtti
implementation.  I am very grateful to those who worked on that
and I think it has great value, but it forces me to compromise on
slicing, postblit, and a few others, and that severely diminished
its appeal. This specific issue, TypeInfo bloat, is just a
symptom of a more general problem in the D toolchain, namely,
dead code elimination.

This is not an opportunity to find clever hacks and workarounds,
its an opportunity to improve the compiler and linker.

Mike