Build It And They Will Not Come

Daniel via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Aug 20 08:18:40 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 14:59:33 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 August 2015 at 14:45:24 UTC, Daniel wrote:
>> One thing that always comes to mind is that D does not have a
>> free, extensive, structured good reference as Go
>> (https://www.golang-book.com/books/intro) and Rust
>> (https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/index.html) do. I mean,
>> compare D's learn section (http://forum.dlang.org/group/learn)
>> to those other links. It's kind of frustrating to newcomers.
>> I've read Andrei's book and its awesome. Couldn't you guys
>> consider making it open and the official book?
>
> Can you give some examples of things provided by those books
> that are not provided by Ali's book? I ignore any project for
> which you have to pay to get basic documentation, but I don't
> see how that applies with D.

It's not about having free docs, it's about having an official
and good to use free doc. Yes, I'm also talking about ux here
(although being a programmer), not only content - compare Rust's
experience (https://doc.rust-lang.org/stable/book/) to Ali's
(http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/). Ali, I mean no offense, of course.
Anyway, I didn't know about Ali's book. Maybe it could be linked
at dlang.org's left menu?