D-Day for DMD is today!

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 23 02:03:39 PDT 2015

"Joakim"  wrote in message news:sfhycfhmabpfxxuxntco at forum.dlang.org...

> Great work, thanks to Daniel and others who helped out, can't wait to use
> ddmd and see all the changes that come with it in the next couple
> releases.

I can't wait to use foreach internally!  No more manual for loops!

> Can we look forward to a complete ddmd, ie backend and everything ported
> to D too, anytime soon?

I've started on the glue layer, and most of that should be done soon, but
the backend brings a bunch of complications:
- The code style is nothing like the frontend
- It makes heavy use of the preprocessor
- We don't have a good way of testing it, which makes refactoring risky

My current plan is to create a nice text form of the backend's IR, then
convert DMC's test suite to this format, with before and after snapshots.  I
can then feed these tests through DMD's backend (no need for a C++ frontend
any more) to check for regressions, letting me start modernizing the code
and converting it to D.

This is going to take a while.