Moving forward with work on the D language and foundation

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 25 05:45:01 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at 07:49:14 UTC, Muahmmad Adel wrote:
> As far as I know, your title at Facebook was "D evangelist".
> When I knew that you moved to Facebook with this title, at
> first I thought that Facebook was willing to push D forward,
> with the company's resources and its previous contributions to
> technology, I thought this would be a similar but a more larger
> step.

I jokingly self-appointed myself with that title for a short
while; Facebook is flexible enough to allow such. My official
title there has always been Research Scientist and I've worked on
a great deal of varied projects.

> So now I am curious to know details about how you see your work
> at Facebook conflicting with the way you want to push D
> forward. For example, Is the company only willing to support D
> to a limited level? Doesn't the language fulfil the company's
> technical needs? Do you have conflicting visions towards how
> things should proceed?
>
> I know this is a question that you cannot give a totally
> politically correct answer to, but some details would be
> informative about your vision and / or the company.

There's not much to tell. Facebook is and continues to be a D
user, the last project I was working on (and is ongoing) uses D,
and there's more use in smaller internal projects. But there is
no stronger involvement for the time being.

Andrei