Moving forward with work on the D language and foundation

Chris via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Aug 28 06:08:34 PDT 2015

On Friday, 28 August 2015 at 12:28:43 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-08-27 at 16:01 +0000, BBasile via
> Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> […]
>>
>> That's courageous, particularly past 50 yo. It's a different
>> culture, past 50 yo in Europe people choose security, but in
>> USA, past 50 yo some people still take the risk to try
>> something new. Awesome.
>
> I say "bollocks" to your accusation that Europeans post 50 are
> a bunch of useless idiots.
>
> I call double "bollocks" on the claim that only in the USA do
> people do anything.

I agree (I think it's the first time I agree with you!). Age is a
state of mind. I've seen people in their 20ies who only think
about a pension plan and watch TV every evening until they fall
asleep.

The thing is that in Europe people are not "lazier", it's just
harder to get going. You are fighting against structures that
have been there since the Middle Ages (or longer). I don't know
about the US, but in the "New World" (we stole from the
inhabitants for whom it was an old world) there are indeed more
possibilities. In Europe they regulate the ordinary citizen to
death, often it's not worth the hassle.