Dynamic arrays

anonymous via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 31 15:04:58 PDT 2015

On Monday 31 August 2015 23:36, John Colvin wrote:

> I prefer the term "slice" to dynamic array. Because it's an
> unfamiliar term it helps prevent confusion for people who are
> used to what other languages call dynamic arrays.

I'm not a fan of the term "slice". Not because I dislike the word itself,
but simply because the spec uses "dynamic array" for T[].

The "D Slices" article [1] on dlang.org uses "slice" for T[], and "dynamic
array" for the underlying chunk of memory. It's no surprise that people get
confused when the different pages of the site can't agree on which word to
use for what.

[1] http://dlang.org/d-array-article.html