Release D 2.069.0

Chris Wright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 8 16:00:48 PST 2015

On Tue, 08 Dec 2015 22:07:15 +0000, deadalnix wrote:

> That's fucking ridiculous.
>
> I'm sorry, but strong word are warranted on that one. Memory consumption
> have been an issue for a while now. Never freeing and assuming
> everything will be already to win few ms out of a build is the most
> ridiculous choice dmd has done.
>
> Especially on a 32bits build.
>
> Will this problem be taken seriously at some point ?

At the time of the C++ to D cutover, DMD did some GC-unsafe things. In
the interests of expediency, since the compiler isn't a long-running
process, they chose to disable the GC in the interim.

While at least some of these GC-unsafe behaviors have been excised, there
is lingering concern that some might remain, so nobody has re-enabled the
GC. This has been somewhat on the backburner; Windows has typically been
of secondary concern to D devs, and Linux has 64-bit builds, so address
space exhaustion hasn't been as problematic there.

Anyway, this is something that's intended to be fixed, and regular 64-bit
Windows builds are something that should happen. It just requires the dev
team to have better access to Windows.