DlangIDE update

Vadim Lopatin via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Dec 8 21:47:07 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 8 December 2015 at 18:18:29 UTC, default0 wrote:
> Sweet! Glad you're back and working on this!
> Was wanting to give it a shot, but typing } on my keyboard
> (german layout, right-alt + 0) did not actually insert the
> character into the opened document, so I gave up.
What is a platform? Linux with SDL? How do I reproduce it? Could
you please submit a bug on github?

> Most of the UI stuff looks really neat (especially like the
> directory structure preview when creating a new
> project/workspace), but obviously still needs a lot of work
> (you cannot drag dialogs around, fe).
Dialogs are currently displayed as popup widgets instead of
separate windows due to issue with OpenGL contexts under Win32
when multiple windows are being used.

> One of the things I did manage to try was putting a readln()
> into the standard hello-world-console-app preset. Turns out
> that it causes dlangide to hang up because it's not actually
> possible to have user input (or to configure dlangide to start
> the project separately so a regular console window appears).
> Killing the started process also was not possible since the
> respective option to stop debugging is still grayed out.
Input hangs because running currently is just invoking of `dub
run` - with input and output redirected. Output is shown in IDE
message log, but for input just nothing is sent.
I'm working on debugging, and as well will implement running apps
w/o debugger with separate console.

> From the looks of it, this is very promising though. I like the
> Workspace layout and the general feel of the IDE (very
> responsive, very clean) and it all kind of makes me wish it
> wouldn already have enough features (especially debugging!) to
> be a viable option.
Debugging is high priority task now.

> I still haven't written much D code and my time is somewhat
> limited, but if there are simple tasks you need to get done, I
> would be glad to offer help!
It would be great.

> Here's to hoping this IDE will keep going and turn out well :-)
I think for programming language, it's big + to have native GUI
library and IDE written in the same language. Adding Delphi style
GUI builder could attract newbies.