Moving forward with work on the D language and foundation

Ola Fosheim Grøstad via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 9 02:55:16 PST 2015

On Wednesday, 9 December 2015 at 10:26:03 UTC, Tony wrote:
> I'd be swayed if you could link to interviews with older
> scientists, mathematicians or computer scientists who said
> their work declined with age because they became disillusioned
> or they ran into social conditioning issues.

They are bogged down with teaching and administration and are at
that time specialized in an established field and follow the
money (research grants which generally focus on what "society
needs", i.e. what is established). Academia also focus on having
a tally on publishing, which unfortunately does not breed depth,
but breadth.

When you do a master you can basically pick up any topic and give
in to your own curiosity, most people follow the same area as
their master when they move towards a ph.d. So you have a source
of "curious noise" at the entry level, but after that there is
gravity towards the established. In order to do something new you
have to both be really really curious about something and also
have the time to go all the way. As you master a field the
curiosity probably drops. That said, most ph.d. reports are
boring. Media propagates the fairy tales which are the result of
that stochastic entry level. You never hear about the 99.9%
boring results.