DConf 2016 news: 20% sold out, book signing

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 11 20:28:45 PST 2015

On Friday, 11 December 2015 at 19:59:54 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-12-08 at 15:50 -0800, Walter Bright via
> Digitalmars-d- announce wrote:
>> 2. Load up a tablet with lots of books.
>
> Or a real laptop so you can do Real Programming – which of
> course must be in FORTRAN.

I know you're joking, but I've been using my tablet for
programming for the last couple weeks and it's surprisingly
great.  Using the excellent and free Termux Android app for
common OSS packages
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.termux&hl=en)
and a bluetooth keyboard (the somewhat dated Rapoo E6100), I've
been able to get ldc built natively on Android
(http://forum.dlang.org/thread/ycvtkeiyffhaixxpzwuj@forum.dlang.org).

The tablet display is only 8.4" but so high-resolution, at 359
ppi, that it doesn't matter, particularly for a shell prompt.
Its Exynos 5420 octa-core CPU is surprisingly fast, building
llvm-optimized phobos in just over a minute.  I prop the tablet
up against something on my desk, and if I want to read a webpage,
I can simply pick it up and hold it in my hands while reading.

I'm living in the future!  Just thought I'd share. :)