DConf 2016 news: 20% sold out, book signing

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 11 22:13:12 PST 2015

On Saturday, 12 December 2015 at 05:46:15 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 12/11/2015 8:28 PM, Joakim wrote:
>> and a bluetooth keyboard
>
> Just to nit pick, using an external keyboard makes it more of a
> laptop than a tablet.

A nitpick for a nitpick is fair game. :)

However, there are distinct differences with this setup.  For
one, the tablet and keyboard combined weigh just under 1.5 lbs,
which is much lighter than almost any laptop.  And you'd have to
compare it to one of the new detachable laptops, as you can't
just pick up most laptop screens and read them in one hand, as I
can with this tablet.

Of course, it's all about trade-offs: I find myself surprisingly
comfortable with this small 8.4" diagonal screen, others may not
be.  The bluetooth keyboard repeatedly loses a couple keystrokes
when starting typing after a minute's break, which appears to be
a known Android problem.  Chrome on Android will annoyingly not
save your zoom level for various websites, as the desktop version
does, which is particularly needed for this high-resolution
display, meaning I repeatedly have to Ctrl-+ or pinch-zoom on
sites over and over again to get the right text zoom back.  I do
have split-screen multi-window for many apps, as it's a flagship
Samsung tablet.

Desktop Android's certainly not there yet for everybody, but it
is for my admittedly low demands, and soon will be for everybody,
as google has said they're working on built-in multi-window for
the next version of Android.