DConf 2016 news: 20% sold out, book signing

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Dec 12 00:25:21 PST 2015

On 12/11/2015 10:13 PM, Joakim wrote:
> Of course, it's all about trade-offs: I find myself surprisingly comfortable
> with this small 8.4" diagonal screen, others may not be.  The bluetooth keyboard
> repeatedly loses a couple keystrokes when starting typing after a minute's
> break, which appears to be a known Android problem.  Chrome on Android will
> annoyingly not save your zoom level for various websites, as the desktop version
> does, which is particularly needed for this high-resolution display, meaning I
> repeatedly have to Ctrl-+ or pinch-zoom on sites over and over again to get the
> right text zoom back.  I do have split-screen multi-window for many apps, as
> it's a flagship Samsung tablet.
>
> Desktop Android's certainly not there yet for everybody, but it is for my
> admittedly low demands, and soon will be for everybody, as google has said
> they're working on built-in multi-window for the next version of Android.

One aspect (for me, anyway) is in order to program, I need a big screen, because
I have several windows open at once. I've gotten so used to it it is very hard
for me to program with a small display. And to think that when I started, 24*80
displays were the norm for a good decade! But then I'd print out a paper listing
as a supplement, and spread that out over a big table.

I also cannot type from a cramped airline seat. I have never successfully done
any work on an airplane. But reading a book on a tablet works just ducky.

And I have a laptop, a small tablet, and a large tablet.