DConf 2016 news: 20% sold out, book signing

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 14 07:01:36 PST 2015

On 12/12/2015 01:13 AM, Joakim wrote:

> Desktop Android's certainly not there yet for everybody, but it is for
> my admittedly low demands, and soon will be for everybody, as google has
> said they're working on built-in multi-window for the next version of
> Android.

Personally, I would need far more than just multi-window support for
Android to be a worthwhile desktop OS for me. A lot of the issues
(though not nearly all) relate to software ecosystem.

For example, I can't even find a halfway decent alternative to windows
notepad, let alone any better text editor. Basic undo/redo support is
rare in Android software, as is saving/loading actual files and sharing
user files between different programs on the same machine, which is
something desktops had pretty much sorted out decades ago.

The whole backup/restore situation is a mess (there's an article that
explains my issues with it better than I can, but my link to it is
buried somewhere ATM), PalmOS already had backup/restore sorted out much
better over a decade ago. Heck, even same with iOS if you can tolerate
iTunes and, well, Apple/iOS.

That's just a few off-the-top-of-my-head examples. There's many others,
like the bluetooth keyboard lag/unresponsiveness that you've already
mentioned, and I can confirm from experience.