DlangIDE - initial GDB debugger support

default0 via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 20 05:53:33 PST 2015

On Friday, 18 December 2015 at 10:41:13 UTC, Vadim Lopatin wrote:
> On Thursday, 17 December 2015 at 08:27:05 UTC, ZombineDev wrote:
>
> GDB support improvements: stack and local variables windows
> added.

This is quick progress! Awesome! I finally have some free time on
my hands, so I deleted my workspace and tried to set things up
following the How to hack on DlangIDE steps again. After doing
that and trying to compile on Debug/Win32 I get output with a
linker error:
Building Debug\dlangide.exe...
Microsoft (R) Incremental Linker Version 14.00.23026.0

"Debug\dlangide.obj,Debug\dlangide.exe,Debug\dlangide.map,C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangui\Debug\dlangui.lib+"
ole32.lib+
kernel32.lib+
user32.lib+
comctl32.lib+
comdlg32.lib+
psapi.lib+
user32.lib+
kernel32.lib/NOMAP/CO/NOI/DELEXE /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS
LINK : fatal error LNK1104: Datei
"Debug\dlangide.obj,Debug\dlangide.exe,Debug\dlangide.map,C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangui\Debug\dlangui.lib+" kann nicht geƶffnet werden.
Building Debug\dlangide.exe failed!

The dlangui project builds correctly btw (it's the only one in
the solution that does).

If I change to Debug/x64 I get a popup from VS telling me that it
couldn't find the right project to launch since there are no
startup projects set (even though I did set DlangIDE as startup
project and it shows). If I explicitly tell it to build dlangide
(right-click the project > build) I get another linker error
telling me it cannot open "phobos64.lib". I do have phobos64.lib
in the normal directory it is in after installation (ie
windows/lib64), but for some reason it doesn't pick up on that. I
even tried setting PATH directly to it, but that also didn't help.

I started up ProcessMonitor and looked at where it was searching
for phobos64.lib and the results were pretty worrying:
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangide\phobos64.lib
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangide\phobos64.lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\VC\lib\amd64\phobos64.lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio
14.0\VC\lib\amd64\phobos64.lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Lib\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\x64\phobos64.lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\10\Lib\10.0.10150.0\ucrt\x64\phobos64.lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\x64\phobos64.lib
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows
Kits\8.1\Lib\winv6.3\um\x64\phobos64.lib
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangide\phobos64.lib
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangide\phobos64.lib
C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\DCode\dlangide\phobos64.lib

Where DCode\dlangide is obviously the path where I set things up.
The rest seem to be things coming from automatic configuration VS
has done at some point. I'm not sure how or where I can tell it
to also look into my dmd installation paths.

Now instead of going for a proper fix I simply attempted copying
the phobos64.lib to the dlangide directory just to see if this
would get it to compile: Turns out it doesn't. When trying to
compile like that, I get a popup saying

std.utf.UTFException at c:\s\d\rainers\phobos\std\utf.d(1109):
Invalid UTF-8 sequence (at index 1)

Is this an ICE? Is my Visual D installation broken (I did
reinstall Visual D a few times by now already)? I'm using dmd
2.069.2 which is the most recent version to my knowledge.

Pretty stumped about all of this and this looks a lot like
something in my VS or VD setup is horribly broken (especially
looking at the Win32 linker errors and the lack of properly
configured search paths for phobos64.lib), but I'm not sure what
exactly or how to go about fixing it/narrowing down the problem.

Any help in somehow getting this all to build would be much
appreciated. Oh and of course "dub run" works just fine.