So You Want To Write Your Own Language

Jakob Jenkov via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 24 03:43:13 PST 2015

On Thursday, 24 December 2015 at 01:08:38 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> This has resurfaced on Reddit:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3xya5v/so_you_want_to_write_your_own_language/

Hi Walther, interesting article. I guess it's like with
entrepreneurship in general. It's a lot of work and lots of
people will tell that you don't have what it takes, it won't
work, you can't beat the big guys etc. But, as you progress and
they see the results, more and more of them change their "no" to
"maybe", "hmm..." and "yes".

I am working on a cloud project where we will also need to
implement a little language that can run inside our cloud. The
constraints are quite different from a general purpose language
in terms of compilation / interpretation time, memory usage etc.
so the design will probably be different than e.g. D.

I am looking forward to this project. Yes, it's geeky, and yes,
it will probably "suck" in the first versions - but eventually we
will get there, and it will work just fine.