So You Want To Write Your Own Language

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Thu Dec 24 08:37:29 PST 2015

On 24/12/15 02:08, Walter Bright wrote:
> This has resurfaced on Reddit:
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3xya5v/so_you_want_to_write_your_own_language/

In the comments, about the cluttered syntax. For the attributes, due to
legacy reasons, it seems like D got all the defaults wrong. System
instead of safe, mutable instead of immutable, not pure instead of pure
and so on. We might not be able to get rid of any attributes but if some
of these defaults were different perhaps it would not be necessary to
use so many attributes all the time.

I know that many here don't agree but personally I think the language
could have less syntax it had AST macros. Some syntax that is built-in
now could be moved to library code in the form of macros.

--
/Jacob Carlborg