Three Cool Things about D

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Fri Dec 25 21:29:59 PST 2015

On Monday, 21 December 2015 at 17:28:51 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/3xq2ul/codedive_2015_talk_three_cool_things_about_d/
>
> https://www.facebook.com/dlang.org/posts/1192267587453587
>
> https://twitter.com/D_Programming/status/678989872367988741
>

> Andrei

Just watched the whole video, even though I've seen a prior
version of this talk.  It was different enough in the jokes and
delivery that I still enjoyed it.  Some notes:

1. Saying "Anywho" to segue to a new topic seems to be a verbal
tic of Andrei's now.

2. It's claimed that scoped imports sped up D compilation: has
this been measured?  It would help if measurements were cited, as
done for compile-time regex performance at the end.

3. It's better that you show usage examples of a PEGGED grammar
now, as opposed to a previous talk that ended with the mixin
slide, but I think it'd be best if you actually worked a toy
example out and showed the generated D code, to really drive the
point home.  Even better if it wasn't something you could
trivially write in D itself, like the arithmetic example you gave.