Better docs for D (WIP)

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Mon Dec 28 12:15:30 PST 2015

Last week, I posted in the general forum my dream for better D
docs. Today, about 4 days of work later, I'm about 1/4 of the way
there.

Still a long way to go, but I've already come so far.

First, behold my old dpldocs.info site. Yes, it is still up and
now it ties into my new docs! You can use it to quickly jump to a
doc given its name:

http://dpldocs.info/

Inspired by the php docs, I also have it able to search direct
from a URL. Click this:

http://dpldocs.info/findSkip

and it automatically sends you here:

http://dpldocs.info/experimental-docs/std.algorithm.searching.findSkip.html

I haven't run all of Phobos through my generator yet (it still
crashes on some of it) but I have run a lot of it through so you
can browse around and get a feel.

I also described why in This Week in D last night:
http://arsdnet.net/this-week-in-d/dec-27.html

While I'm still probably at least a month away from having this
really finished, I feel it is already a massive improvement on
the main docs and wanted to announce it so other people can give
it a try too.

Once I finish the generator, I'll start writing new articles to
fill in some of the dummy links there, and perhaps make minor
changes to Phobos itself (if I can make changes that help me
without hurting the existing ddoc based site or source
legibility). The new articles are a big part of the work too!

Finally, when I am happy with this program, I will document the
doc generator and release it for other people to use too.

But until then, have fun playing with dpldocs.info!