2015 H1 Vision

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 07:48:10 PST 2015

On Sunday, 1 February 2015 at 01:17:41 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Walter and I have been mulling for a while on a vision for the
> first six months of 2015.
>
> http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1
>
> This is stuff we consider important for D going forward and
> plan to work actively on. We encourage the D community to focus
> contributions along the same lines.
>
> We intentionally kept the document short and high-level as
> opposed to discussing tactical details. Such discussions are
> encouraged in the appropriate forums.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Walter and Andrei

I'm surprised by one of the goals:
> Our aim is to top 2000 pull requests by June 30, 2015.

This is arguably the most well-defined goal here, but at the same
time, it sounds strange to judge the contributions by the numbers
of pull request. We could top that number -and I'm afraid we'll
be tempted to do so- by submitting a streamline of pull requests
fixing trivial doc problems / mispelling (I'm not saying docs
P.R. are worthless), or implementing trivial functions.

I'd rather see a list of (high-level) wanted features here,
either in Phobos (better file abstraction, better release
process...) than "Receive & accept 2000 P.R in 6 months".

Regarding Vibe.d:
I partly agree with Dicebot that we should focus on dub first.
However, I like the idea that not-breaking-Vibe.d should be
required for a release (2.067 being a perfect example of a major
breaking change for Vibe.d).

In fact, something that I wanted to do for a long time is to have
"badges" on code.dlang.org, which indicates which library builds
with which compiler. This is important for the overall quality of
the language, as, once it's in place, dub will be able to refuse
fetching a library that's not building with 2.0XX, providing a
much nicer experience to user. We'll also be able to see how much
code a release / nightly (which is also something we lack) will
break code, and how much code in code.dlang.org works with which
version.