2015 H1 Vision

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 16:14:47 PST 2015

On 2/1/15 1:46 PM, Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On 2/1/15, Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce
> <digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
>> http://wiki.dlang.org/Vision/2015H1
>
> - Create the D Language Foundation
>
> What exactly is this idea about, can you elaborate a bit?

Glad you asked. We currently have a few expenses associated with D
operation. Walter and I prefer to be discreet about such, but some of
them are fairly obvious and non-negligible - such as DConf.

Such expenses have been covered by the kickstarter campaign (for DConf
2013) and now are going out of Walter's and my pocket. We've increased
expenditures lately, to good effect, and would like to continue to do so
but of course without becoming homeless in the process :o). It's become
clear to us that the best way to scale things up is a formal framework,
and a foundation is a commonly-used mechanism for such.

A foundation would provide a fair and transparent way for us to accept
contributions, small and large, from interested parties, and apply them
to further understanding and adoption of D.

Andrei