2015 H1 Vision

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 1 21:57:27 PST 2015

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 16:24:00 +1100, Daniel Murphy wrote:

> "Vladimir Panteleev"  wrote in message
> news:viqwfixznbdbdwvhavuk at forum.dlang.org...
>
>> I don't use Dub
>
> You really should!  I put it off for months and months but I'm quite
> happy with it now.

dub is very limited tool. first: it can't do separate compilation. some
of my modules, for example, do alot of CTFE things (including parsing
disk files) and eating memory like crazy. there is simply no way to to
batch compiles for me. besides, batch compile means that if i'll change
one line in one module, dub will recompile them all, so i forced to group
modules to libraries by size, not by intent.

second: dub can't compile code in other languages. some of my projects
includes several C modules, for example, and my build tool has no
problems building that and automatically tracking dependencies.

third (it's an extension of second, actually): track arbitrary
dependencies and exec arbitrary tools to generate some files based on
that dependencies.

dub is good, but only in limited use cases. so it's almost no sense in
using dub if some use cases are not suitable for it: it's way better to
adapt build tool that one already using (or write his own) instead of use
TWO build tools for different projects.