DDocs.org: auto-generated documentation for all DUB projects (WIP)

Mathias LANG via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 11 00:41:24 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 10 February 2015 at 22:40:18 UTC, Kiith-Sa wrote:
> DDocs.org (http://ddocs.org) is a repository of documentation
> for DUB projects that automatically re-generates docs as new
> projects/releases/branch changes are added.
>
> The idea is to make documenting D projects as simple as
> possible, to the point where you don't need to do any work to
> get documentation for your project other than adding it to the
> DUB registry. Also, users can now browse documentation for DUB
> projects even if the author was too lazy to generate it
> themselves (assuming thy did include some documentation
> comments).
>

> Note that this is still in a very early stage, it was put
> together in a very quick-and-dirty style by a person with
> little webdev experience. Currently it just scans
> `code.dlang.org`, looking for changes (yes, I know, this will
> break as soon as code.dlang.org changes, I plan to raise
> issue/s (PRs?) to the dub registry project so it can have a
> full/stable API, but I wanted to get something to work *right
> now*.
>
> Code is here:
>
> * ddocs.org: https://github.com/kiith-sa/ddocs.org
> * hmod-dub: https://github.com/kiith-sa/hmod-dub
> * harbored-mod: https://github.com/kiith-sa/harbored-mod
>

> Background:
>
> When optimizing harbored-mod by testing it on big D projects
> (gtk-d, tango, vibe.d, etc.), I wrote a simple tool to
> fetch/generate docs for any DUB project; I got carried away and
> used that as base for a tool that checks for changes in the DUB
> registry and generates docs for all projects.

Awesome ! I've wanted to do it for quite some time, I think it's
really important we get that as a part of code.dlang.org (as well
as compatibility badges, but that's another story.

Regarding the macros: I recently completed the set of definitions
in libddoc (
https://github.com/economicmodeling/libddoc/commit/82fcd8fdcdfe0809437f2415361ef92ee21a5c12
), so if you're based on Harbored, you should have everything you
need. I'm currently working on a fully compliant macro parser in
libddoc. The macro WEB is not part of the standard definition,
it's part of dlang.org's definitions, which you can find on
Github (.ddoc files).
More precisely, it's defined in html.ddoc (
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dlang.org/blob/master/html.ddoc
).
I guess it can make sense to had that file included by default,
but at the same time I'd like to avoid projects documentation to
rely on non-standard behavior.