Packt is looking for someone to author a "Learning D"

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 14 10:21:45 PST 2015

On 2/14/15 9:04 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> On Sat, 2015-02-14 at 16:54 +0000, Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>
>> idk if it has changed in the last year, but mine was done on MS Word
>> as well. They provide a template then you follow it and give them
>> the .doc. The editors then give back the .doc with comments attached.
>
> s/Word/LibreOffice/, I do not have Windows, let alone Word.
>
> The core problem with the workflow, is that it assumes the author is
> only there to provide content and has no say in any other aspect of
> the book. As someone more used to providing press PDF this is
> irritating. However I could get over it, if the workflow involved a
> source I can put into version control. Obviously XeLaTeX is the
> correct medium, but AsciiDoc is acceptable as a second best.

Many publishers may allow you to provide camera-ready copies.

> Any
> suggestion of DocBook/XML as authored source is generally met with
> derision, especially given there is AsciiDoc.

You'd be surprised to hear the tooling at the Pragmatic Programmer is
all XML based and quite inflexible. Our negotiations broke down over
that, in spite of their really beefy financial offering.

> I have to admit, doing a Go or D book, is kind of appealing.
> Technically I am supposed to be doing "Python for Rookies, 2e" but it
> isn't happening for reasons I would rather not let the NSA know about.

Go? Urgh. As they say: Come for the concurrency, leave for everything
else :o).

Andrei