Packt is looking for someone to author a "Learning D"

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 15 03:36:11 PST 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-15 at 04:38 +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
> […]
> Well, if you do the document with Latex on git (or some similar
> version control), you get most of the same stuff.  Latex has a
> comment tool where you can do margin comments if you wish, and of
> course you can also do comments in the 'code' if you want - they
> don't show up in the document at all.  Heck, I am sure there is a
> package for everything in Latex if you look hard enough.

(Xe|Lua)LaTeX or AsciiDoc
Git or Mercurial or Bazaar

Publishers have, however, seemed to have decided that sub-editors must
work on the original source document files directly. If this is an
integral part of the publisher workflow and the sub-editors cannot
deal with DVCS or the markup languages, then the publishers refuse to
use those tools.

Still as long as some half-way decent authors are prepared to use Word
and abdicate their responsibility for the content once initially
created, the publishers win.

> A MS-word document with 'track changes' on, edited by multiple
> people, is the greatest eyesore known to humanity. I still don't
> understand why anyone who had a choice between Latex and MS-Word
> would pick MS-Word for anything longer than 25 pages...

And who has the current master version, which  file is the master,
etc., etc.

> Just my personal opinion as one who recently finished a 200 page
> thesis in Latex, and is now working for a company where we do all
> our internal documents in Word. Latex certainly has its ugly
> warts,
> but it is so nice for lengthy document1.

Luxury. I typed my thesis (including the maths equations) using a
broken portable manual typewriter. ;-)
--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk