Packt is looking for someone to author a "Learning D"

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Feb 15 14:35:39 PST 2015

On 15 February 2015 at 17:56, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-announce
<digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2015-02-15 at 15:37 +0000, Craig Dillabaugh via Digitalmars-d-announce wrote:
>> On Sunday, 15 February 2015 at 11:36:22 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
>> >
> […]
>> > Luxury. I typed my thesis (including the maths equations) using a
>> > broken portable manual typewriter. ;-)
>>
>> And you tell new students these days, and they won't believe you :o)
>
> There is one wonderful upside to this story, the examiners appreciated
> the complexity associated with changing anything, that they took
> considerable effort to find the minimum changes necessary that could
> be done with Snopake and a pen.
>
>> […]
>> Of course, TeX is also a programming language, so for developer types
>> it does present its own distraction.  Luckly TeX coding is so obtuse
>> it is never a serious temptation.
>
> Uuuurrr… like m4, once you get into it it isn't so bad.

Hmm, yeah.  Depends on the application use of m4 though.  I've been at
a company who used m4 to generate all their DNS zone files.  In which
you'd get high marks for having a way to add/remove records that was
relatively low maintenance cost, but low marks for complexity of
adding features/debugging bugs in the wiry maze of macros. :)

Iain.