DConf 2015 Call for Submissions is now open

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 02:51:29 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 07:30:22 UTC, Brad Anderson wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 00:22:33 UTC, Mike wrote:
>> I have a suggestion for any compiler implementers:  How about
>> a talk on how to get started hacking the compiler.  Something
>> that may lower the entry barrier and encourage participation.
>>
>> Some random thoughts:
>> * General structure of the compiler
>> * Walk through the data flow: Lexer -> parser -> AST -> backend
>> * How to add a new compiler switch (e.g. -fnotypeinfo)
>> * How to add a new attribute (e.g. @notypeinfo)
>> * What's your workflow for debugging the compiler?
>> * Pick a bug, and fix it (Live demo)
>> * Overview of CTFE and how it's implemented
>> * (I'm sure you can think of more)
>>
>> I realize there's documentation on the wiki, and some of this
>> was discussed briefly at DConf2013, but there's more that can
>> be done to make it accessible and interesting.
>>
>> Mike
>
> Sounds like a good subject for Daniel Murphy to talk about. He
> spent a good hour explaining to me how a linker works in the
> Aloft bar after most people had retired (thanks for that,
> Daniel) and he certainly knows dmd extremely well.

I second the vote for Daniel, as he seems fairly opinionated
online and might make for a good speaker.  I didn't even know if
he goes to DConf, as he's never given a talk at the recent ones.
He could talk about dmdfe's structure and the magicport/ddmd
effort would also make for good material.

> Do we know if the DConf 2015 talks will be recorded?

Walter said earlier in this thread that they're arranging
something, though he's not sure about live-streaming yet.