This Week in D, issue 1

Zach the Mystic via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Tue Jan 13 20:57:29 PST 2015

On Tuesday, 13 January 2015 at 14:08:58 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> I've started writing a weekly D newsletter. Here's the first
> issue, any feedback welcome!
>
> http://arsdnet.net/this-week-in-d/jan-12.html
>
> In the future, I intend to have it written by Saturday for a
> weekend release, so if you want something to appear this week,
> please try to get it to by before then.

I have a comment which might apply to any effort called "This
Week in..."

My suggestion is to keep a very lighthearted attitude towards the
idea of it being "This Week". Almost tongue-in-cheek. While it's
no doubt a service to be able to provide publications on such a
regular basis, there is a very small bus factor here (knock on
wood!). That being the case, there will inevitably be weeks, or
even longer where no issue of "This Week in..." appears. For
people who take the title too literal-mindedly, there might be a
sense of emptiness or even anger when for a given week, you're
simply not able to put together the issue, for whatever reason or
reasons, good or bad.

That said, I think it's a great title, actually. So long as it's
always published with a tongue in cheek attitude, and with the
idea that "This Week" really means "the amount of time since the
*last issue* of 'This Week...'!" So long as everyone knows that
whatever shenanigans occur between one issue and the next, "This
Week..." will always arrive with the same humor about what it is
and how often it actually appears. In other words, humor replaces
what might be an overwhelming responsibility to actually publish
the thing "as designed". :-)

I'm only speaking from my own experience regarding consistency
and motivation for something without a lot of institutional
backing.