Heady House Hunting with D

Philpax via Digitalmars-d-announce digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 05:57:08 PST 2015

On Friday, 16 January 2015 at 20:20:56 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 January 2015 at 03:46:39 UTC, Philpax wrote:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> I recently wrote a blog post about how I used D/vibe.d to help
>> find a new house. I haven't publicized it anywhere else yet,
>> so I'm looking forward to what the D community has to say! You
>> can check it out here:
>> http://philpax.me/blog/heady-house-hunting-with-d
>>
>> D made it easy to model the problem and quickly crunch through
>> it; I'm pretty happy with how quickly I was able to get decent
>> results. It's not the most idiomatic of code, but D's
>> flexibility meant that I could concentrate on the concept
>> instead of the implementation details.
>
> Heh, I wrote something similar (much much simpler) to find the
> best hotel for DConf 2013. The program extracted the hotel's
> geographical coordinates, and then queried the Google Maps API
> to find the one that had the shortest public transit time
> assuming we wanted to arrive at 8:30 AM.
>
> Since then, I started doing it for all important purchases -
> TV, AC unit, laptop... The laptop program used a score model
> like yours. The biggest issue is that it's hard to find
> accurate information on household hardware, especially since
> there are a myriad models for each tiny European market.
>
> Here's the hotel program (list.txt is a list of booking.com
> URLs):
>
> http://dump.thecybershadow.net/2ebca3f47b801aed0104585f60b9587e/scan.d
>
> By the way, does your blog have a RSS feed for D posts? Then I
> could add it to Planet D.

Heh, good to know that other people have taken similarly clever
approaches to decision making :) I don't have a D-specific RSS
feed (my blog's fairly simple, since I haven't written many
posts) but I have one for all posts: http://philpax.me/news.rss.
In the future, I'll consider adding categories and
category-specific RSS feeds.